Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So many decisions to make...

and so little time...

But firstly I will be honest and say I am a feeling a bit gutted in the fact that I have over 30 "readers" (i.e. those who requested to be part of the private journey), 12 followers... yet in my last post when I really wanted lots of opinions and advice, I only got 5 comments! Now those 5 comments, were brilliant and helpful and very much appreciated but I really did hope that I would get more comments and advice on what you have done in the past.

And now it is the 27th Jan and I have just 4 days to decide what "plan of attack" I am going to be following from Monday (1 Feb)!!!  And at this stage, I still have no flaming idea!!! 
  • Stephan's parents have borrowed my booklet re the "real food" plan and are both keen to do it to see if it will help their area's of concern for their health.  I do love the concept of it, but just don't know if I could manage the 3 week introduction/challenge!  But another woman I know (thru the parenting forum) is planning on just introducing the changes gradually without any drastic changes... to me this sounds pretty logical so am going to send Sherry an email asking her if doing it this way will still help me out with losing weight etc and to get her opinion on it.
  • Tania is emailing me her meal planning spreadsheet that she uses while doing WW - you plan your weeks meals ahead (including points etc for each meal/snack) then that way you don't know to stress about point counting each and every meal.  Sounds good to me, but to be honest, is WW really for me??? Not sure about that one.
  • Low Carb Eating - been doing a bit of reading about this over last couple of days after reading Lynda's blog and how well her and her partner have been doing by reducing their carb intake.  Very similar to Atkins Diet but more sensible from what I can gather.  Am wondering if I should just try this approach... but time is running out as I only have 357 days until my 40th and I want to have lost at least 20 kilos by this time!!!!
The other heart wrenching thing for me at the moment, is that my mum (in her early 70's) has been accepted and is having a gastric by pass (like Jo, Janene and Janine) done in March!  We had talked about it, and she had said that IF the surgeon wouldn't do it on her due to her age, then she would consider lending me the money to have it done!  BUT now the surgeon is going to do it, so I am left at square one.  I know I just need to be there to support Mum ( and have her hand me downs) but boy it sure is going to be so damn hard as I am left the fattie of the family!  I know that I am the only one that do something about this, but for fucks sake, how the hell am I going to do this???

Money is a big issue for us as even IF I went ahead with WW, the extra $18 per week is going to be a big cost for us and require huge dedication from me!

So now that bit is off my chest, what has been happening since my last post...

My birthday - had a fantastic child free, work free day and thoroughly enjoyed myself!!  Then Rachel and I had a couple of days up at Mum's so Rachel good have some time getting to know her cousins from Australia and we both had a ball!!!  Then on Saturday, we all headed over the hill to Masterton to my sisters wedding which was fabulous!!! Another 2 fantastic days with family and Rachel having an absolute ball!!!  Photos are on FB though had to remove any photos that had a member of the Bridal Family in it due to my sister's request which really did piss me off as there were some nice ones there, but did it to keep her happy and to keep the peace as it was her big day!

Work today was totally chaotic and full on!  Next two days are going to be so full on and hectic but am sure I will get there eventually!

This weekend, the only big thing on is a fairy birthday party (3 yr old) so apart from that, it will be the usual housework, baking, groceries etc... so may end up at work at some stage.

Anyway, just realised the time, time for me to head to bed - takes me forever to get there by the time I check on Rachel, go to the loo, get my stuff ready for my shower tomorrow etc...

Catch ya all later - hopefully with a decision that has been made by then!!!

13 comments:

JustJo said...

Well..... I will put my hand up and say that I didn't comment cos I didn't have anything to say :) I don't have any suggestions on eating plans / diets etc cos I have failed on every one I have tried - hence the surgery.
Like I said earlier... I would be majorly pissed off if it was my mother having the surgery instead of me, especially after she "dangled the carrot" of maybe lending you the money. I just think it isn't fair :(
Hope you can come to a decision that you are happy with.

Kate said...

Hehe, and I'll ditto the others and say I didn't comment because I don't think people really want to hear what I think about diets etc!
But I do care about you and I hope you find something that makes you feel good soon. For me, the key is exercise - it makes me feel good, and it makes me want to eat better too.

Lynda said...

Ok here is what I know to be true. Whatever plan you make it must be lower in carbs - whether this is WW or any other plan. The body simple can not lose weight in the presence of too much carbs. Carbs cause your body to produce an insulin response that tells your body to hold on to fat.

Don't do anything crazy - you don't need to do Aitkens or anything like that but if you cut out breads, cakes, potatoes, rice etc it does not take long before you absolutely lose your appetite. Once your body is low on carbs it uses fat for fuel and your hunger goes. This is a fact and the reason that more people lose weight on low carb diets - lack of hunger!

The other point is that you have a lot to lose so can't do this quickly. Just plesase, whatever you do, don't just cut calories and go on a standard diet - this just sets you up for further weight gain, feelings of starvation etc.

Oh and do what YOU want, not what you think others expect. I am doing two meal replacements as a trial and most people think this is mad but for me it is just an easy way to take care of the two hardest meals of the day for me, breakfast and lunch. Low carb is easy but certainly easier when I don't have to think what to have for these two meals!

Good luck - perhaps more reading is in order for you. Maybe learn a bit more about low carb eating and why it works.

Tracy said...

At the end of the day you can only try & find what works for you both emotionally & financially. If WW is going to be a struggle financially, then don't do it, you will only make yourself stressed about the cost, especially if you have a week where you don't lose weight (been there done that).

Try making 1 small change at a time, no big grandiose change everything schemes.

Good Luck & we are all here to support you :-)

Anne said...

Ditto to the first three comments. But if you want some advice from me - here goes....... While I agree partly with Lynda re the low carbs as I know it works for me, I have interesting reading in a book Helena recommended. Don't mind posting it to you to borrow and read. Very good reading and one part is that we are all different (LOL obviously) but what they were writing was that some people respond to low carbs, some to high protein and other bodies actually need carbs. They have a quiz to find out what would work best for you body. The first time I did the quiz it pointed my body to needing carbs, low fat - but then I realised I was answering the questions how I thought they should be answered. Sat down and really thought about it and it came back I need a diet low in carbs, fats such as found in nuts... Will dig out the book and try and give you more info on it as I don't think I've explained very well.

Good luck and will be here for support. Remember you did it once, I'm sure you can do it again!!

Anne said...

Oh - on a roll now, try not to think of the term "diet" it to me sets up a mind set of being deprived. Instead try and think of "a healthy eating plan". Don't let yourself feel deprived, instead try to think up ideas that you will really enjoy but are healthier options, still allow yourself the odd "treat". I found after years of "dieting" that I was either being really hard on myself, then when I stopped dieting I then went to the other extreme. LOL Peter used to joke he didn't know if we were going to be living on lettuce or overloading on takeaways. Last time I joined WW I changed my thinking and told myself I wasn't dieting. Seemed to help and even now that I'm not counting points or following any particular plan I really do know my eating habits have changed and I'm sure after several years I can safely say changed for good.

Shar said...

I don't really know what to say Karen, except that we will support you in whatever decision you make. As someone else said, make the decision for YOU, not for anyone else.

When I was younger I got referred to a dietitian who advised me all things in moderation were fine. Instead of my 3 packets of chocolate biscuits each week, I was told one packet a fortnight was enough. And a 1.5 litre of coke should last me a week, not a day! After a few months of moderation I went from a size 20 to a 16.

Janine said...

Same for me as per commenting, although I have refound that book I spoke to you about previously. "the easyweigh to lose weight" by hte same guy who helped me stop smoking....although this book did not do it for me. I can send it down if you want me to.

Is your Mum having the same surgeon? In Hamilton?

Lynda said...

Hi again Karen - I emailed the woman, Sherry Elton, from real food just to comment on her site. I told her that you had put me on to her website and she said that she would welcome you to email her directly and ask her any questions - seriously I think this would be good. She seems to have a really sound knowledge of nutrition and maybe this could help you.

FREEDOM said...

Have you made any choices re weight loss.

Chris H said...

Just go low carbs, weigh yourself instead of going to WW's .. lots of good advise from the other girls.
As for your Mum.. well that just sucks! You should be the one getting the surgery, full stop end of story.

Paula said...

Hi Karen.

Sorry I haven't commented either - I am going through some very similar issues in my own mind at the moment, and I've been talking to some professionals and just working through the discussions so I know how I am going to tackle my weight this year. I have some things which may be helpful to you that I could share, but would probably rather share them on the phone at some point, if you want to chat about them sometime.

I hope your weekend has been a good one.

maryanne said...

Hi Karen sorry I didnt comment as i am in the same situation as you. I restart a diet every other day and like you i would really like the idear of surgery but my husband and money are the issue. I have tried every other diet and the best i have found so far is weight watchers. I feel it has the most give and take. I lost 26 kilo following there guide lines but did it alone. But once again I regained it all and am back to square one. So how can i give advice I dont feel i can do anything but say good luck my support is with you and all ladies dieting and struggling everyday with one of the hardest things. I love following you and Jo and Janene and you all give me hope. Good luck will be very interested in which way you decide to go and remember although we dont say a lot there is so much support out here for you. lots of love maryanne