Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Where I am....

Thanks for the comments yesterday and the phone call last night Janine - I am doing ok overall, just going through a wee struggling patch which I believe we all do through when we are changing our eating habits and life styles that we have been used to for such a long time!
As I said, I don't do nuts (at all), I don't do seeds (at all), I don't do scotch/curried eggs (sorry Lynise). Janine and Lynda have both suggested that as I like baking so much that I do some LSA baking etc to make it low carb BUT I find it really hard to adapt/change recipes - I follow them basically to the last letter! I do need to find time (ha bloody ha) to read the low carb recipes on the NZ Low Carb website but until then, I will just keep plodding on slowly I guess.

Time is one thing that I don't have a lot of given that I work full time along with 2 hrs commuting each day, plus of course there is Rachel (and oh Stephan too) and then there is washing, lunches, dishes, housework etc and unfortunately although Stephan can be helpful at times (ie when I give him specific jobs to do), there are other times when it feels like I am doing everything myself! I would love to be able to sit down and read/watch/listen to all the links that Lynda mentions in her blog but fark - where do I find the time?? I would love to be able to have more "me" time, but once again - where do I find the time?? I realise "me" time is important but so is my family, my work (to pay the bills), my friends etc...

Paula - thanks for your comment last night. Are you Paula from Kapiti Coast? It's just that I know a few Paulas :) I am attempting to change my lifestyle and to reduce/cut out all wheat, rice, potato and sugar! If you have a look at Lynda's blog, you will find a lot of fascinating facts about the Paelo lifestyle (eating all natural foods, not processed ones) and how low carb eating can majorly change your health when it comes to diabetes, dementia, heart attacks etc... I can so see what Lynda is saying but I am just struggling to cut it all out from my diet when I have Stephan and Rachel to consider as well. Stephan is not a huge potato eater but does like them as does Rachel... and the other problem is that neither of them eat many vegetables at all which does make it hard to make our meals more vegetable based rather than carb. We do have rice reguarly (and no neither of them will touch cauliflower so can't do the cauliflower rice) - well I am reducing the amount I have but I realise for this to work for me, I need to cut it out but fark it is hard!

6 weeks into this healthy living, the only caffiene I have had is 2 bourbon and cokes and surely the bourbon outweighed the caffiene (ha ha ha)!! So basically 6 weeks caffiene free is fantastic for me given how much coke/V I had been having previously! Also it has been 8 weeks (given that the bakery closed 22nd Dec) since I have had a sausage roll for morning tea but fark I still want one as much as ever!!! The craving for them has not gone at all! I am still catching a different bus in the mornings to avoid going any where near the bakery!

Right, better get back to work!

6 comments:

Jaxx said...

Those LSA wraps are awesome, I make them for David for lunch, and at work he is getting asked about them heaps..... They only take about 4 minutes to make and you don't miss bread then..... My kids never used to eat much veges but now they are happy to try more. Can you possibly read the low carb sites on he train home???

Chris H said...

If you are serious about changing your eating habits, stick to it and EVENTUALLY you will not want that sausage roll.
I used to crave pies, but thankfully, not any more!

Lynda said...

I think I'll right a blog post aimed at you? hehe...

You have to do this for you, no one else. You have the extra veges and guess what, you might inspire Rachel to try some too. Make them yummy with cheese sauce etc. There are recipes out there but I understand the time thing, that is why I try to do as much looking around as I can and write it up for you guys to read.

About the sausage roll - when... and only when, you lower your total carbs, much of the desire will go away but guess what? You can have one now and then!! OK off to write a post with you in mind.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen
Yes it's Paula from the Kapiti Coast (would love to catch up soon). You are doing so well thus far and I am sure that you will find a balance that suits your lifestyle. Your attitute is the most important thing and you have such a positive attitude, you will achieve! Good on you,
Paula

Anne said...

I'm not much help as finding the low carb hard at times as well, and I don't have a family to cook for so you think it would be easy! My problem is a bit of stress and just not being organised at times.

Tracy said...

Hi Karen. I have just caught up on your last couple of months as I hadn't realised you were back blogging.

You are doing really well with the low carb eating, I am sure you will get the hang of it
It is really hard working full time plus being a Mum & being the one who does the bulk of the housework. Would it be feasible to maybe get a cleaner once a week - especially since you are saving so much money by not buying so much junk food?