Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 1

First day of healthy thinking/eating has gone well.... rice crackers with a bit of dip instead of chippies and a yummy green salad with some chicken for lunch.  Little footsteps, day by day.

I do need to make an effort to do some reading on the Low Carb eating - just a matter of finding time to sit down undisturbed to take it all in so I can make sure I am making the right decision before I make this life style change.  Lynda has mentioned giving up wheat - this would be the most hardest thing for me to do but can see what she is saying in her comment as to why I should do it.  I just LOVE my potato, rice, bread, pasta etc and find it hard to imagine a day go by without at least 1 of those in my meal plan.

The thought of exercise does scare me a bit as the problems I had with my foot/heel earlier in the year now seems to be occurring in my other foot!  There is no way I want to go through the surgery again on the other foot... no way in hell!  I am really hoping that by losing weight will ease the pain that I have in my heels but I am aware that to lose weight I do need to do exercise too!  So will start off with some simple walking and see how I manage that.

Speaking of walking - when you guys started off on your journeys what did you wear when out walking etc?  Okay not all of you were this big (and are this short) - my track pants are a bit indecent even with a baggy tshirt... and don't want to wear my jeans or a skirt but am starting to think that a skirt may be the best option even though it looks odd with sneakers!

Right, am gonna call it a night on this update... catch ya all tomorrow night :)

4 comments:

Lynda said...

Hi Karen - I totally understand where you are coming from. Two years ago a lady told me she was gluten intolerant and could not have wheat and I remember thinking how on earth does she live!! If you had even asked me six months ago if I could be wheat free I'd have laughed. After reading "Wheat Belly" (by Dr William Davis) it absolutely changed my thinking.

Wheat causes all kinds of problems in our world including arthritis and allergies. I suspect even your foot problem could improve with wheat elimination as it is an inflammatory.

Baby steps. I would not initially ask you to give up all carbs if they are so important to you but you also have to realise that these are the very things that are making you sick. You did not put on weight eating meat, veges and fruit. If you seriously want to make a life change then something has to give. Going on a calorie restricted diet will take weight off but will also make you hungry and you will end up worse off. I see this over and over.

On Facebook there is a page for Wheat Belly - look for it and read the amazing comments from those who have only given up wheat. It really is life changing but you have to be ready to change your life. I really want the best for you but it is up to you to decide what you can do.

Jaxx said...

For walking when I could I wore tights with a huge t-shirt sometimes I would wear tights under a skirt to stop chaffing.

Janine said...

When I was at my heaviest I would wear tights/leggings and a large t-shirt. In fact that is pretty much what I still wear when working out.

Paula said...

Hi Karen. I can relate to the exercise thing ... I've had a problem with my left knee now for several years, which makes it difficult to walk too far without paying for it big time with pain. The doctor believes it is arthritis as a result of an accident I had several years ago. Swimming would be my ideal solution, but finding a pool on this side of the city is impossible at present - they are all closed/damaged following the quakes - so the nearest pool is probably 20 minutes drive away - and the opening hours don't work well with my work hours. I'm seriously considering buying a Zumba DVD and dancing away at home - maybe doing short bursts so not to aggravate my knee too much. As far as walking attire, why not just invest in some plain black leggings and throw a t-shirt over them. It's about comfort at the end of the day. Good luck!